Electroconvulsive Therapy utilizes brief pulse stimulation techniques, under anesthesia to produce the desired effect. It is now known as Brief Pulse Therapy. (BPT)
BPT has been used to treat a number of conditions, when they do not respond to conventional medicines. Conditions included are:
- Treatment Resistant Depression
- Suicidal Ideas and Attempts
- Acute Mania
- Catatonic Schizophrenia
In some cases, BPT can be used to augment treatment response and to reduce hospital stay:
- Severe agitation
- Sever mania
- Aggression and Violent Behavior
We at Parth Hospital, employ the most advanced equipment to provide a safe and effective BPT.
Know the Procedure
Type: OPD and IPD procedure.
When given as an OPD procedure, the patient does not require admission and can come at the time of BPT, and is free to go after the procedure.
Duration: 15-20 minutes (usual time)
Pre BPT-Workup: Ideally before giving BPT, the patient needs to undergo a pre BPT workup.
The tests required include:
- S. Creatinine
- X-Ray (if underlying respiratory condition is suspected)
- CT-Scan / MRI Brian (If Required)
During the entire procedure the patient’s airway and ventilation is maintained using a Boyle’s Apparatus. The vitals are continuously monitored using a Multiparameter Monitor
- Before giving the stimulation in BPT, the patient is anaesthetized using a suitable aesthetic agent (Short acting agents are used, with a typical duration of action of about 10-12 minutes)
- Then the patient is given a dose of a muscle relaxant, which relaxes the entire body.
- Then the stimulation is delivered. Typically, it is delivered for 1-3 seconds.
- Application of the stimulation, elicits a therapeutic seizure, which is monitored for its duration.
- Following the termination of the seizure, the patient regains consciousness and is then discharged in some time.
Emergency drugs are always kept handy to effectively deal with any complication, if they arise.
- BPT Machine: RMS PC-Ecton Brief Pulse Therapy Machine
- Multi-Parameter Monitor: Western Surgical 5 parameter Monitor
- Boyle’s Apparatus and Anesthetic Trolley
3rd Floor, Sigma Excellence, Opp. Falguni
Gruh Udyog, Near Vastrapur Lake,
Vastrapur, Ahmedabad 380052
For Appointments Call